A princess throws herself into the world of the United States Marine Corps...

Tuesday, September 6, 2011
I Guess I'm One of THOSE Dog Moms
I never knew how stressful it would be to move Petrie out to California! First off, I've been having the BIGGEST guilt issues all summer long. My family ADORES the little guy, especially my dad, and I feel just awful taking him away from them. I know and they know that Petrie was a gift to ME and that eventually he would be leaving the Spetz Household..but it doesn't make it any less heart breaking for those who are having to say goodbye.
<-- First day I brought Petrie home (Feb 2009)
Then there is the whole "how do I get him out to California without either one of us having major anxiety attacks?" I thought about waiting for Christmas time, where my family can drive to Louisiana with him to see my grandparents and Matt and I can drive back to CA with him. But then we would have no one to watch him for 3 weeks come wedding time. So in June I bought a direct flight on United, payed for extra leg room (since Petrie will have to sit at my feet) and waited for Sept to come around so I can fly him back with me. Well...while that seemed like a nice plan, it didn't really turn out the way I hoped. We leave tomorrow and I just found out he does NOT fit in the carrier that United provides. I underestimated Petrie's size (my bad). That now means I had to make the tough decision to fly him UNDER the plane. Just the thought of it increases my anxiety. What if it's too hot or cold down there? What if he has breathing issues? What if his little heart gives out from being so scared (I know...I'm exaggerating now)? But I can't SEE him for myself to make sure he is okay. What if the airport people lose him? SO...I went to Petsmart 3 times for this pup in the last few days.
The first time was to get him checked by his vet to make sure he is healthy and a-okay to jet set. 2nd time my dad and I went to see if there were any carriers that COULD make it in the cabin with me. Negative. So we bought a good sized hard carrier for him to hang out in while he is under the plane. I went back today to get a little bed to put in the back of it (again, I underestimated the size and doesn't fit..looks like trip 4 will be to return it) and I also got his carrier travel water bowl and food bowl (which I will freeze some water so he can stay hydrated in his flight). I also bought him an actual ID tag. We've never gotten him one in the last 2 1/2 years that we've had him. So now he has a nice gold bone shaped ID tag :) (2nd Picture is Petrie being the little Devil Dog that he is..this is his first week home..so tiny!)
When I got home I lined his crate with the soft rugs he likes to lay on in the house (so he has familiar smells around him and adds soft comfort) and put his favorite stuffed toys in the back. I put puppy pee pads in the front in case he gets car/air sick. What else...Oh I will also throw in a couple Busy Bones (his FAVE) and some Chew-eez (his 2nd fave) so he doesn't "starve" and I also think it may help with his anxiety. I knew chewing for ME helps. I notice he gnaws on his arms when he's a little stressed so I want to deter that.
People may thing I'm crazy for going to these lengths and this emotional stress for a dog. My dad would just say "Lauren , he's a DOG. Dogs fly all the time, he will be okay. He will get over his anxiety and by the time you land he will forget he was ever on a plane". This coming from the man who I know parting with Petrie will be the hardest on. So, I'm trying to take a little of his attitude..but the mommy worry-wart in me still comes out. Don't judge. He's my fur baby. I know he will be okay. I just feel bad that I'm taking him away from the family that loves him, putting him in a new setting where he is unfamiliar and doesn't have a yard of his own (but he WILL have a balcony he can bark at all the people from..his favorite activity! lol) and then this change of plans with the flying. It's too much all at once.
Maybe Momma will be okay once she takes a Xanax and sips on a glass of wine :) The in-flight movie better be good. I don't want this cartoon Rio shiznit like they played on my way over. Come on people...let's watch something worth getting INTO and spending this $600+ I payed for my round trip and extra leg room.
Wish us luck!! I'll keep ya posted on Petrie getting settled in. His daddy just went shopping for him so he has lots of goodies awaiting him at the apartment <3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



awwww I hope the flight goes ok, I know how worried you are about him Lauren!! And don't be ashamed you're one of those dog moms...I'm one of those cats moms...I feel horrible when I leave my girls for one night!! Hope everything is smooth sailing!! xoxoxox
ReplyDelete