My girlfriend, Becky, bought me this book called "Roses and Thorns"..it's basically a hand-book for the Marine Corps enlisted wives
(though I'm not an enlisted wife, Matt's an officer, I think there is lots and lots of vital information in this book). In the front cover, there is a poem (
or whatever you want to call it) that I would like to share:
I am a Marine Wife.
I share my husband's pride in the Marine Corps.
My husband has conquered the most challenging military training program the United States has to offer.
The Eagle, Globe and Anchor give testimony to his title:" Leader of Men - United States Marine."
He has taken his place among history's Marines who have made the free world feel safer just hearing the words, "The Marines have landed, and the situation is well in hand."
I am proud that in an age that scorns fighting men, he chooses to be ready to defend his country.
Although I can never fully undestand his devotion to this fighting fraternity, I realize that these closed corners of his heart and mind are no threat to our marriage.
That without this dedication to the work "Marine" and all it stands for - honor, courage, patriotism, and devotion to duty - he would not be the man he is.
I try to be familiar with the job so I can appreciate his abilities.
I wait when long hours or tours of dute seperate us, knowing our reunion will revitalize our marriage.
I pray for his success in his career and for his safe returns.
I hope that he fulfills his potential and that I will never be a deterrent.
I share a common bond with those wives who waited during Belleau Wood, Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Inchon, Khe Sanh, Beirut, Grenada...knowing one day I may be the one waiting.
I choose to let the possibility of loss increase the intensity of the moment to live fully, to love completely.
My husband has earned his right to be called "Marine." He has been tested and not found lacking. May I be found as worthy of the title "Marine Wife."
No comments:
Post a Comment