A princess throws herself into the world of the United States Marine Corps...

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Hey Yawwwwwl!!!

In exchange for writing about what I WANTED to originally write about..something that's been weighing on my mind ...and since I've been advised to just not go there, I'm going to instead just give a REALLY great recipe I discovered by Paula Deen (Hey Yawwwl!!...hey, I get to tease..my roots are very southern and most of my family are equipped with the ever-so-catchy southern drawl) .  It's her chicken, rice and green bean casserole. I made a FEW alterations. If you want the full, original recipe just look the chicken and rice recipe up on the Food Network website :)

Chicken, Rice and Green Bean Casserole
you will need:

  1. 3 cups chopped boneless skinless chicken breast (I just boil 3 boneless skinless breasts and use it all..it's a little more than 3 but that's okay) 
  2. 2 cans fresh cut green beans, drained
  3. 1 diced up red bell pepper (the recipe asked for a can of pimento, drained...I like to use the bell pepper)
  4. 1 finely chopped onion
  5. couple garlic cloves, minced (I don't believe this was in the original, but I add garlic to everything!)
  6. 1 6oz box of long grain wild rice (because I have a little extra chicken, I make about 8oz)
  7. 1 cup mayo
  8. 1 and 1/2 can of Cream of Chicken (originally it's 1, but bc I make a bigger portion casserole I add that half. Also, you may substitute with Cream of Celery. I use 1 can Cream of Chicken and half can of Cream of Celery)
  9. 1 cup shredded cheddar (I love my cheese so I do a couple handfuls and sprinkle more on top as it's almost finished baking)
  10. dash of pepper (the recipe says dash of salt too..but really I don't think it needs it! )
  • pre heat oven to 350
  • you want your rice cooked, chicken cooked and chopped,  and sautee your pepper, onion, and garlic.
  • mix all the ingredients in a med/large bowl
  • spread into a casserole dish (I use a 9x13 or whatever size is like that)
  • bake in over for 25 mins.
  • I sprinkle extra cheese on top the last 10 mins. You can also add breadcrumbs to the top if you want extra texture.
I have made this dish a few times and each time was a HIT!!! There are plenty of leftovers, so what I like to do with that (thank you Erin for the idea!) is when I make breakfast, I make an omelet and I put the casserole in the center. Sprinkle a little hot sauce on the finished omelet and voi la! It's so delish.   I know the casserole recipe looks a little large but once you figure it out it's really simple to make with lots of great flavor. YUM  :)

(and ps. the next time I really want to "go there"..I think I will. I started this blog as my online diary. It's raw. It's me. I didn't create this to just sicken people with everything happy happy happy. There are issues in life, and I will put those issues out there. Who knows, I may just get great advice and feedback. But this one time, to prevent stirring up anything..and I don't have the energy to fix whatever probs it MAY cause...I'll just keep my fingers quiet.) Enjoy the casserole!! If there are add ons you made that make it even BETTER..let me know xo

No comments:

Post a Comment