A princess throws herself into the world of the United States Marine Corps...

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Our Disneymoon

They say that Disney World is the #1 place newlyweds are honeymooning these days...and I totally see why!! The Mr. and I spent almost a full week at the parks and then we went on the Disney cruise from the Sunday after the wedding until Thursday morning.  I couldn't be happier with the decision we made to keep everything Disney.  A lot of people brought up when I told them of our plan, "aren't there going to be too many kids?" or " it seems a little hectic to be a romantic honeymoon". Well, ya, it's a little hard to be mushy, gushy, sickeningly sweet romantic at a Disney theme park, but luckily for us, that was not what we were looking for.  Matt and I are kids at heart. We wanted a fun, light-hearted time..and we find the romance in the little things.

The Disney cast members are freakin' amazing! Because we wore our "Just Married" buttons and our Mickey and Minnie wedding ears, every cast member we passed congratulated us.  Every time we waited in line (which this trip was never long at all..booyah!) one would ask us about the wedding and sound genuinely excited for us. When we would walk up to the ride, they would let Matt and I pick where we wanted to sit (score!). There were some really nice employees who gave us things without any charge: photos from the ride we were just on, coffee, dessert, food from the Food and Wine Festival...and more.  It was not expected but we totally appreciated it.  We felt really special (who shouldn't feel special on their honeymoon?!).  Sure, there were tons of kids. Tons of unruly strollers. Tons of crowds. But that's expected at the Disney World. At least the lines were extremely short everywhere we went (I think the longest line we waited in was to meet Mickey and Minnie..I'll post those pictures soon!). Can't beat that!!

Every day I had reservations set up at a restaurant. At Epcot, we ate at both China AND Italy. Hollywood Studios we ate at the Sci-Fi Drive-In (which is my favorite!). The food in there isn't top notch(you know, just burgers and fries, shakes, that kind of food), but inside it looks like you are sitting in a drive-in theater back in the 50's. The "sky" is dark and lit with stars..the theater screen shows movie commercials, ads, and cartoons from back in the day, and our tables? They are CARS. I think it's the coolest :)   Then we ate at Planet Hollywood in Downtown Disney..Tony's (where Lady and the Tramp had that infamous spaghetti kiss) at Magic Kingdom, and then Artist Point at our resort (Wilderness Lodge). 


The cruise...all I can say is "wow".  This was my first cruise ever, and Matt's first Disney cruise. Any notions you have that a Disney cruise is all family and kid related? Think again. Disney did such an amazing job providing fun and services for everyone. The only time Matt and I were ever really surrounded by kids was when we waited in line to meet Goofy and Tinkerbell (call us dorks..whatever!) and then when we were on the main deck taking a peek at the outdoor movie theater. At the time is was playing Lady and the Tramp. I loved it!!  Other than that, our activities were pretty secluded from the families and kids. There were a good handful or two of bars and clubs for adults only.we had an adult only section on the top deck equipped with bars, multiple pools and hot tubs, private lay-out sections, and more! We had an adult karaoke night (Matt made me sing once) and a Match Your Mate show, which is like the Newlyweds Game. There were trivia nights, a pirate party, they played movies. You name it.  So, our cruise went to the Bahamas. Our first day was Nassau and our second day was Castaway Cay..the Cay that Disney owns in the Bahamas. The weather was gorgeous!! We did a glass bottom boat voyage at each of our destinations and then layed out, afterwards. Our third day was a full day at sea which was perfect. We layed out on the top deck, with a good book, and had guys coming by offering us frozen cocktails. We gladly accepted.

Our honeymoon was a glorious two weeks. Just long enough to feel we did everything we wanted to do, and coming home wasn't such a bummer. I think we were both ready to get home as husband and wife and see our furbaby (who we haven't seen in three weeks!!). I now am wishing we could be back there, enjoying the sun and seeing the Christmas decorations the parks are filled with starting this month. But, we still have our annual passes (thanks to the Disney Wedding Team!) so I think we are going to try to have another Disney vacation sometime in the spring. When Matt and I relocate to where he is stationed next, he has a good 20 to 20something days off before he reports for duty. I think that sounds like a perfect time to vacation again in Orlando!


No comments:

Post a Comment